Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Turning a Corner

The past five days since my last post I have had significant experiences that have allowed me to further refine my understanding of the direction I want to help take information security. So here is what I have discovered:

1) Stay positive - Don't use the stick unless you have too and go for carrot first. I admit that when I first started to write on this blog that a lot of frustration came out. I realize that in order to “transform” information security I must be able to offer solutions that both serve the needs of the community without inflicting significant amounts of pain.

2) Be compassionate – Being aware of not only your environment but the people in that environment. Taking on the understanding that part of the job which is not written anywhere on a statement of work is that of educator. We have an opportunity to create a new possibility for the WONKS of the world. If we are bitter and closed to those amongst our ranks who don’t understand how we as can a profession grow?

I admit there are those that I just plain think should be in another line of work but at the same time there was a point many years ago that I did not know what I know now. We need to, each and everyone of us, who understand the guiding tenants of information security adopt someone and mentor them. Regardless if they are practing within this field or not. We don’t have enough mentoring in this field and consequently we are poorer for it.

No comments: