Monday, June 11, 2007

On a Break

I took the weekend off and spent time with the wife. We did a nice easy 14 mile bike ride and then on Sunday went trap shooting. Considering how much I have neglected my shooting skills I did okay. The next thing is the introductory fly fishing class that is offered at the local community college. It’s awesome that the local Jr. College offers a three day class on fly fishing. Colorado is just a great place!

So nothing new here from the Infosec space. My big project right now is to get my Windows Terminal Server up and running so I can further virtualize and partition applications into trusted zones. I’ve also started running VirtualWare appliances.

The big challenge again goes back to funding and then to routing. The CISCO switches I picked up are great but switch port managed. So the challenge I have is how to route virtual machines and more importantly virtual security appliances with limited hardware?

I know that ideally I want a separate zone where my traffic must pass through to get to the internet and that the appliances in that zone should be logically and physically separated. Realistically given my qualitative assessment of risk this is all overkill but I’m not doing this to prove anything. I’m doing this to learn and keep my skills sharp.

I also am reorganizing my work space now that I have moved the wife onto her own desk area and can get my desk the way I want it. I have added an arm mount for my 19” LCD monitor so that has really freed up a lot of desktop RealEstate. I’ll post a picture of my work/play area when it’s finished.

No comments: