Monday, May 28, 2007

To those that served and to those that we serve...

As someone who has been around the military all his life I like to think that I have a good appreciation for what this holiday weekend means. I find it disturbing that the people of this country seem to have collectively, not individually, the attention span of a two year old.

As I look outside my window I do not see a single home with the Stars and Stripes flying aside from my own. To me this appears to be yet another sign of complacency. Have we forgotten we are fighting a war on many fronts? The war extends into the enterprises that we defend. Our adversaries don't care that we want to take time off to be with our families. As I have said before I think that it is human nature not to expect the worst. We tend to fall into depression when we live that way. But I think it is more than fair to say that given the opportunity, any opportunity, those that seek to harm us on a scale that has yet to be seen or understood will strike.

No comments: